Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Thursday, April 12, 2012

HOLY SHOVELS!

So, as I was organizing the shed this morning I realized that we have a surplus of shovels.

See? There is an assortment. But, that was not the only thing I realized while I was organizing this smokey morning. 

(Side note: South St. pete was covered in smoke due to forest fires further North and Boyd Hill was performing prescribed fires in their nature preserve. There was smoke so thick it was foggy.) 

Anyway, so as I have mentioned I was organizing the shed and when I organize, I think.  I began to think about why I was in the shed...and then why I was working on this project...and then why I even care about organizing the shed for this project.  Well, my sophomore high school English class and, more specifically, Joseph Campbell came to mind. In high school I found my niche working in the dark room.  I'm taking a photography class this year, senior year of college, and looking back at my negatives I found that 'nature' was a huge theme.  It was not just because it was just something to photograph, but that I engulfed myself, crawling under bushes and climbing mountains just to get the perfect shot.  When my English class began reading Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, my general love for everything was pruning and my thoughts began to flow toward my attraction to the wonders of nature.

"Follow Your Bliss," Campbell states.  I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, just follow your bliss, man. So simple. Blah. Blah. Blah."  I would just like to point out that Mr. Campbell posed this question to a class full of hormonal teenagers and a pregnant professor. I'm Sorry, Mr. Campbell, that we found bliss in baby names and chocolate at the time but I feel as though I now understand what you were trying to accomplish in that English class so many years back.  I love to be outdoors. I love to be with other people. I love gaining new knowledge and sharing it with others.  HOLY SHOVELS! This is my bliss-I love educating others about the outdoors.

Just a little reflection as I am leaving the project at the end of the semester and it has been a great ride!



sydney :)

No comments:

Post a Comment