Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Thursday, November 3, 2011

It's compost stew making time!

Today was another great day at the garden. It was chilly when we first got there but once the sun started to shine it felt very comfortable. Elena brought some compost from home and we looked at what we had in order to let the kids create the "compost stew." We decided to split up some of the compost into cups so that the kids didn't have to touch the compost itself.
Our kids didn't come out until 9:30 so we had some time to do maintenance. We weeded mostly in different beds. Even though weeding is a bit monotonous, it needs to be done to make the garden look as nice as it does every week. It's always a good day when I have to wake up early and go to the garden. I know that the rest of my day will be wonderful after I see how excited the kids are to learn so much more. When they came out this morning we asked them what they learned last week, and they were spot on with recycling. We then explained to them what we were going to do today. We were going to create a compost stew and they were going to be the chefs. Despite the look of the compost, I tried to explain to them that insects love compost and they will do a great job of decomposing all the food scraps and turning it into dirt. They all seemed to understand somewhat, but it was also hard to get them to pay attention. Once we gave them jobs, they were so excited to create the stew and throw it on top of all the other compost.
I always love coming to the garden in the morning, especially seeing the kids. One little boy and girl gave me a hug twice today. Every time that happens, I just get a huge smile on my face and I get that much more excited to come to the garden every week. I just hope that I am making as much of a difference in these children's lives that they are in mine! 

Thank you for following our Blog!
Jessica Stitt

No comments:

Post a Comment