Edible Peace Patch Blogs

Check out our other blogs here: http://peacepatch.org/blogs.htm

Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday


Today during the second shift, 1:30-3:30, Camilo, Amy and I (Julia) worked on mulching the Florida native beds, watered, and worked on some weeding. In one of the unplanted beds weeds have decided to flourish. I spent a while digging up the weeds and came upon an amazing root system (in the picture below). It was incredibly strong and took a good amount of time to pull out.
We then decided to re-mulch the beds of the Florida native plants and rearrange the rocks surrounding them, as you can see in the before and after photos below.
Around 3:00 one class arrived and we started off our semester! I was amazed at how invested the students were in learning what was going on in the garden. I had many students asking me about all of the plants and wanting to pick the vegetables. Another class arrived about 15 minutes later and it was great to meet even more students! I am so looking forward to the rest of the semester and getting to know these wonderful students. So far I have really enjoyed working at the peace patch and am excited to continue this journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment